Year 1-3 Speech and Drama
Our Year 1-3 Speech and Drama classes are fast-paced, educational, packed with skills, fun and focused on your child's development. Children learn through games, exercises and a variety of activities that we know they love. We specialise in empowering students to excel at performing and hone their speaking skills. This programme is suited to both shy and outgoing children. Students sit an assessment at the end of the year through Speech New Zealand and receive a certificate and badge.
Why start Speech and Drama?
Ten Feet Tall was one of the first Speech and Drama companies to start teaching Year 1-3 Speech and Drama classes. Over the past 8 years we have found that the students who start classes early are like 'sponges' they soak up the learning quickly and find it much easier to perform to audiences and feel confident in different situations. Our Year 4 students who have come through our Year 1-3 Speech and Drama class programme are able to speak confidently extempore when many of their peers in other drama classes are just beginning to learn. We know our classes provide an opportunity many other schools do not and for this reason we are very privileged to work with so many Year 1-3 students.
Students will learn
- Clear speech
- Plan and deliver a talk
- Discussion skills
- Presenting skills
- Group drama
- Poetry speaking
- Creative thinking
Students will be able to
- Speak clearly and project their voice.
- Grow awareness and use of eye contact, facial expression, posture and movement.
- Structure and deliver a talks in an extempore style.
- Speak and perform confidently to a range of audiences.
- Learn different techniques in storytelling.
- Develop critical and creative thinking.
- Listen and respond courteously.
- Listen and effectively question peers during discussions.
- Present all forms of drama with an audience focus.